Welcome to the West Ham United Memorabilia Collection featuring everything Claret and Blue
Insert body text here ...
Insert body text here ...
The West Stand was the oldest and easily the most dominating feature of the ground, the original structure was first improved in 1913 when it also housed the dressing rooms. Following the Hillsborough Disaster in April 1989 the capacity of the ground had been reduced to meet the requirememts of Lord Justice Taylor's report published in January 1990 which made recommendations regarding the provision of safety at sporting events in future.
In 1965 an extra section was added to the south end of the stand, which was known as "A" Block. In front of this stand terracing was constructed to hold approximately 8,000 spectators
The proceeds received from reaching the first-ever FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium in 1923 and also gaining promotion to the First Division at the end of that same season enabled the club to fund the building of a large, new West Stand.
Built by the Cearns family, the West Stand was first unveiled on August 29, 1925 for the visit of Manchester United. The stand provided seats for 4,800 fans in the upper tier and gave shelter to a further 12,000 more on the terraces below. A crowd of 25,630 saw the Red Devils lose by the only goal scored by Stanley Earle, who also scored two days later when Cardiff City were defeated 3-1 at Upton Park.
The new structure was initially known as the 'Grand Stand' but quickly became know as the 'West Stand'. It was at this point in time that the stand contained Blocks B, C, D and E, also incorporating a directors' box and Press facilities.
1981 West Stand (Lower Terrace)
The original standing enclosure could accommodate around 3,000 fans but this was replaced by seating (capacity 2,841) in the summer of 1981.
Sir Trevor Brooking Stand
Bobby Moore Stand
The West Stand is the newest and by far the largest stand inside Upton Park, holding up to 15,000 spectators. The stand was built in 2001 as the Dr. Martens Stand, bringing the stadium capacity up from around 26,000 to 35,647. The West Stand is the main stand in Upton Park, as it includes two tiers for paying home supporters, separated by two tiers of executive boxes. The stand also hosts all of the club's offices, board rooms, suites, dressing rooms, official shop, and the West Ham United Hotel. It is also the largest single football stand in London. The stand's main feature is seen from the exterior of the stadium, with two large turrets built onto the stand with the club badge embedded on both, going with the theme of the club's badge. The terrace also has two scoreboards at both corners joining with the Centenary and Bobby Moore Stands, displaying the score and time of the game in process. The stand is so large, it is visible from the A406 North Circular Road and from The A13 Newham Way, where you can clearly make out the roof of the stand over the tower blocks.
The stand was officially opened by HM The Queen as part of her Golden Jubilee celebrations
2001 Dr. MARTENS STAND
2009 WEST STAND
16th June 2009, following the end of Dr Marten's sponsorship, the stand reverts back to it's original name The West Stand
Dr Martens Stand
West Stand Forecourt
The Hammers Club shop and Lottery Ticket booth
Golden Goal Lottery Ticket
Image courtesy of Paul Ford
2011 ALPARI STAND
West Ham United announced a major three-year partnership agreement with Alpari (UK) a leading global foreign exchange broker. As part of the partnership agreement, from the start of the 2011-12 campaign the West Stand at the Boleyn Ground will be known as the Alpari Stand.
In January 2015 foreign exchange broker Alpari UK, had collapsed into administration leaving the club to find a new main sponsor and a new name for the West Stand.
West Stand Concourse
West Stand summer of 1961 before the construction of the new "A" Block
BOBBY MOORE OBE
The Heritage Foundation Plaque was unveiled by Friends and Family 21st January 2007
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh visited East London on 9th May 2002 in the first of four day-long Golden Jubilee tours of the capital.
The Queen opened the new £25 million Dr Martens Stand as a replacement for the old West Stand which was built in 1925. After meeting representatives of the adult and youth football teams, Her Majesty unveiled a plaque in the foyer, before a private reception hosted by Terence Brown Chairman of West Ham United.
May 9, 2002
2015 BETWAY STAND
In February 2015 West Ham United announced a new record shirt sponsorship deal with the online bookmaker Betway, less than a month after their previous sponsor went out of business.
West Ham were left without a sponsor after their deal with their main commercial backer, Alpari, collapsed when the Swiss company went into liquidation last month. However the club has moved quickly to secure a new partnership with Betway, which is the biggest commercial deal in West Ham’s history.
It is understood that under the agreement Betway will pay West Ham £20m over the next three and a half years. It dwarfs the deal with Alpari, which was worth £3m per year, and comes as the club prepare for their move to the Olympic Stadium. West Ham are set to leave Upton Park for their new home at the start of the 2016-17 season.
Bronze plaque to commemorate the buildin of the new Grand Stand
May 5, 2001 : West Ham United v. Southampton
For many Hammers fans, the victory against Southampton in the final home match of the 2000-01 season will be remembered as the game in which we made sure of our Premiership future. However, it will also be famous for being the last fixture played in front of the original West Stand which will make way for the brand new Dr. Martens West Stand - which will be in place for the start of next season.