Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'
Insert body text here ...
Insert body text here ...
West Ham have met many German teams over the years in friendlies and on pre-season tours. After installing floodlights in 1953 the first German side to play at the Boleyn Ground was VfB Stuttgart, who were beaten 4-0 in October 1954. Unusually, Stuttgart's captain Robert Schlienze only had one arm, having been injured in a car accident.
In European competition the Hammers have been paired with German opposition on four occasions, all in the European Cup Winners' Cup.
The first of these was the 1965 final against TSV Munchen 1860 in May 1965. Both teams played their part in a thrilling match full of football’s finest arts and packed with excitement. Two second half goals from Alan Sealey gave the Hammers a 2-0 win. Bobby Moore collected the cup as Bubbles rang around Wembley.
The following season, West Ham were paired with East Germans 1. FC Magdeburg and two tight matches followed. At home Johnny Byrne gave the Hammers a first leg lead and in the return John Sissons equalised the Germans' early goal, giving the London side a 2-1 aggregate victory.
In the semi-final the same season, West Germans Borussia Dortmund proved to be formidable opponents as they won both ties with their winger Lothar Emerich - a 1966 FIFA World Cup finalist - scoring twice in each leg.
Ten years later in 1976, the opponents were Eintracht Frankfurt and, despite an early goal from Graham Paddon the Hammers lost the away leg 2-1. The home return proved to be an amazing night of excitement as Trevor Brooking scored twice and Keith Robson curled in a 30-yarder which saw West Ham through to the final on a 4-3 aggregate.
George Kitchen came from Everton in 1905 and had a unique debut against Swindon Town. The Hammers won 1-0 and it was George who scored the goal from the penalty spot. George went on to play in 184 Southern League games where he had a remarkable record of scoring 5 penalties and saving six! Kitchen left West Ham in 1910 to join Southampton.
In the clubs first Football League game against Lincoln City in 1919, Ted Hufton made his debut. Hufton was a fine 'keeper and played in the 1923 FA Cup final against Bolton Wanderers. International recognition came his way as he gained 6 England caps after first playing against Belgium in 1923. He made a total of 401 appearances for West Ham before joining Watford in 1932.
Ernie Gregory gave 51 year’s service to the club after joining the ground staff in 1936. After making his league debut in 1946 he was ever present in 3 separate seasons up to 1952 when he won an England B cap against France. Gregory was in the side that won the Second Division Championship in 1957-58 and played his last game for the club against Leeds United in 1959 after making a total of 405 appearances. He then became coach to the youth and Reserve teams at Upton Park until his retirement in 1987.
Phil Parkes commanded a world-record £565,000 fee when he joined from Queens Park Rangers in 1979 and later gained a FA Cup winner's medal in 1980 and was part of the Boys of '86 side that finished third in Division One.
Popular Czech Ludek Miklosko arrived in 1989 and went on to play in a total of 365 games. More recently David James and Robert Green have both represented England.
On many occasions West Ham have lost cup ties to lower-league opposition!
However back in 1910-11 it was the Hammers doing the giant-killing They were in the Southern League when paired with the mighty Manchester United in the FA Cup. The Red Devils were top of Division One at the time and fielded many internationals, but West Ham prevailed.
A ninth minute goal from Danny Shea who drove the ball home, but the illustrious visitors equalised before half time with a goal from Turnbull.
The Hammers played well in the second half but as the game was nearing the end it seemed that a replay would be needed. However, in the dying seconds Tommy Caldwell was on hand to smack the winner past Edmonds. The 27,000 crowd were ecstatic and carried Caldwell shoulder high from the pitch.
The first game at the Boleyn Ground took place on the 1st September 1904 when West Ham beat Millwall 3-0 in a league match. In August 1944 the south west corner of the ground was hit by a German flying bomb causing widespread damage. No games were played at the ground until December.
Floodlights were installed in 1953 with the first match being a friendly with Tottenham Hotspur. In 1994 Upton Park became an all seater stadium following the Taylor report on the Hillsborough disaster.
Between 1994 and 2000 the ground was redeveloped to include the building of three new stands - the North Bank, East Stand and West Stand.
During both World Wars West Ham relied on the services of many guest players, many of whom were stationed in London and the south east with their branch of the armed forces.
Playing for the Hammers in 28 games during the first war was Sam Chedzgoy the Everton forward. In 16 seasons he played in 279 games for Everton and had been capped 8 times by England.
Another personality at that time was Andy Cunningham the Glasgow Rangers forward. He scored 182 league goals for Rangers and played 12 times for Scotland. While at West Ham he scored 9 goals in his 17 appearances.
During the Second World War, around 85 guest players who wore the Hammers shirt. Arsenal lent ten players including England internationals Ted Drake, Eddie Hapgood, Bernard Joy and Laurie Scott.
Charlton Athletic supplied their legendary goalkeeper Sam Bartram, who was with Charlton for 22 seasons and played 579 league games.
The guest player with most appearances was the Leicester City defender Dai Jones who played in 42 games. For one game in June 1940 against Charlton three days before the Football League War Cup final with Blackburn Rovers at Wembley, the Hammers fielded ten guest players with the lone West Ham player being Jimmy Barrett.
Fred Griffiths was born in Wales in 1873. A giant of a goalkeeper, he stood six foot two inches and weighed 15 stone. Griffiths joined Lancashire League side South Shore in 1894. In 1899, the club amalgamated with Division Two club Blackpool. He became the first Tangerines player to win an international cap when playing for Wales against Scotland.
He then had spells at Millwall, Tottenham Hotspur and Preston North End before joining West Ham United in 1902. In his two seasons with the Hammers he kept 15 clean sheets in his 52 appearances.
In 1904 he went to play for New Brompton (Gillingham) where he became the club captain and made 52 league appearances.
After retiring as a player he coached local sides in Shirebrook in Derbyshire. When the First World War broke out in 1914, he joined the Sherwood Foresters regiment, reaching the rank of sergeant. Sadly, during the battle of Passchendaele in October 1917 he was killed in action.
This was originally an earthen mound until terraced steps were laid in the 1920s. A roof was added in 1961. Work went ahead to build a new North stand which was opened in January 1995 and named the Centenary Stand. As from the 8th August 2009 the stand was renamed the Sir Trevor Brooking Stand.
The original structure consisted of a standing enclosure which was affectionately known as the Chicken Run. This was demolished in May 1968 and a new East Stand was built. Initially the lower part was standing but this became all seated in 1994.
The West Stand is the oldest feature of the ground. In 1925 the stand was redeveloped to incorporate a standing enclosure. An extra section was added in 1965 to the seating blocks. In 2001 the stand was completely rebuilt and renamed the Dr Martens Stand. The stand is now known as the Betway Stand being the club’s current sponsors.
The bank gained a roof in 1925. This part of the ground suffered bomb damage during the Second World War in 1943 which resulted in the first 14 games of the season being played away. In 1993 the stand was redeveloped to incorporate 7,630 seats. The new stand was then renamed the Bobby Moore Stand.
History of the Boleyn Ground
Click the picture link