theyflysohigh : Steve Marsh

Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'

Insert body text here ...

Insert body text here ...


Banner Hammers Logo theyflysohigh BONDS Billy 03

The Letter "A" ...

In May 1995 West Ham travelled 10,000 miles for a Centenary tour of Australia where they would play four games. Some first teamers did not come on the trip which gave a few youngsters the chance to impress. The first game kicked off in Perth against Western Australia. An equalising goal from Mark Watson gave the Hammers a 2-2 draw but the Australians won the resultant penalty shoot-out by 5-3.

On to Melbourne next where the Hammers gave a jaded display against Victoria which saw Danny Shipp get the equaliser in the 1-1 draw.


The team flew into Sydney hoping to do better against the Australian under 23 team. They gave a better display winning 1-0 with Malcolm McPherson grabbing the winner in the second half. The squad was then weakened as Potts, Breacker and Allen returned home before the final game in Queensland.  


A return game against the Australia under 23 side saw the Hammers well beaten 4-0. It had been a disappointing tour played in front of sparse crowds of a few thousand.



by John Northcutt


These days if there is a doubt about the conditions then the game is likely to be postponed. Since the War there have been 5 League games abandoned.


Bad weather caused the home League game with Grimsby Town to be called off in November 1948 after 50 minutes. At Brentford in March 1952 there were arctic conditions which led to the referee bringing the contest to an end at half time.


Back in January 1954 the Hammers were playing Stoke City at Upton Park. They were leading 4-1 up to the 83rd minute when the game was abandoned due to fog. The replay took place later in April and the game was drawn 2-2.
















At Villa Park in December 1965 the game with Aston Villa only lasted 30 minutes before it was called off due to the frozen conditions.


One other game that was abandoned was not due to the bad weather. In November 1997 seconds after Frank Lampard had equalised for West Ham against Crystal Palace the floodlights failed. Some 35 minutes later with no sign of the lights being fixed the referee abandoned the match with the score being 2-2. On this occasion the replay ended more favourably with the Hammers winning 4-1.

Abandoned matches Postponed Button

Click the Picture Link below to view all Abandoned and Postponed games


Malcolm Allison joined West Ham in 1951 from Charlton Athletic. He soon established himself in the team at centre half and became the club captain. He was a huge influence at the club where he transformed the coaching and tactics.


After playing at Sheffield United in September 1957 he was taken ill after the game and had part of a lung removed in hospital, after which he was diagnosed with tuberculosis.


The Hammers won promotion to the First Division that season but sadly for Malcolm he never played another first team game and had to retire as a player. In 7 seasons he had played in 255 games.  

ALLISON Malcolm 03 ALLISON Malcolm Cartoon 01

A managerial career followed and after spells at Bath City and Plymouth Argyle he joined Joe Mercer at Manchester City in July 1965. The pair were very successful and went on to win all the major honours. He later managed Crystal Palace and was always in the headlines with his king-size cigars and champagne lifestyle. What followed then were spells at Sporting Lisbon, Middlesbrough, Willington and finally Bristol Rovers.


Big Mal sadly died in October 2010 aged 83.



The lowest attendance at Upton Park was 4,373 when Doncaster Rovers were the visitors on the 24th February 1955. The game took place on a Thursday afternoon in appalling conditions. Snow covered the pitch and play became hazardous. To add to the woe Doncaster Rovers came away with the points winning 1-0.


The largest home attendance was the 42,322 that was present for the visit of Tottenham Hotspur on 17th October 1970. The teams drew 2-2 with the Hammers goals coming from Peter Eustace and Geoff Hurst. Three days earlier Tommy Taylor had signed from Leyton Orient and made his Hammers debut against the Lillywhites in this historic match.


The team departed for New York in May 1963 to participate in the American International Soccer League. The Hammers competed in Section I, and did not start well as after drawing 3-3 with Kilmarnock they then lost 4-2 to the Italian side Mantova. Bobby Moore and Johnny Byrne had been with the England party and after joining up with the squad the performances got better.

Geoff Hurst scored twice in a 3-1 win against the Mexican team Deportivo Oro. Hurst followed this up with a hat trick in another 3-1 victory over Valenciennes from France.

The squad then travelled to Detroit where Hurst and Peters scored in a 2-0 victory over West German side Preussen Munster. The final group match proved to be a rough affair with the Brazilian team Recife. Johnny Byrne scored the Hammers goal in a 1-1 draw which saw West Ham finish top of their Section and qualify for a two legged play-off with UDA Gornik from Poland.

The first leg ended 1-1 with a goal from Johnny Byrne. In the second leg Geoff Hurst put the Hammers ahead scoring his 9th goal of the tournament. After the interval Gornik had two goals disallowed for offside which upset the Polish supporters who invaded the pitch and attacked referee Jim McLean. It took half an hour to restore order but the referee was not able to resume and a linesman took over. The rest of the game was without incident and the Hammers held on to win 1-0.


In season 1992-93 all 24 First Division clubs entered and were split into eight groups. The international stage was played later and featured the eight English qualifiers and the eight representatives from the Italian League Serie B qualifiers.

West Ham United were paired with Bristol Rovers who they drew 2-2 with at home, and Southend United who they beat 3-0 away. The mini group ended with West Ham and Bristol Rovers with identical points and goal difference.

A Football League official decided the outcome on a toss of a coin Club secretary Tom Finn called correctly and the Hammers were through to the next stage where they had to play 4 Italian sides.

First up was Cremonese who beat West Ham 2-0 in Italy. Next was a home game with Reggiana and despite Morley being sent off West Ham won 2-0. A 1-0 win away to Cozensa gave hope of further progress in the competition.

Unfortunately after drawing 0-0 at home with Pisa West Ham finished runners up in their group to Derby County and were eliminated.

Click the Graphic above

to review the Hammers

Anglo-Italian Affair


Div 1

Div 2

FA Cup

FL Cup








Watney Cup


Club legend Billy Bonds holds the appearance record having played in a total of 799 first team games spanning some 20 seasons.  


Top Ten players with most appearances are :-




55_02_24 WHU v. Doncaster Rovers 01 70_10_17 WHU v. Tottenham Hotspur Section One winners

International Soccer League

First Section Winners

West Ham were now qualified to play Dukla Prague in the Challenge Cup Final.

The first leg was played in Chicago where they narrowly lost 1-0. In the second leg Tony Scott gave the Hammers the lead but an equaliser from Dukla saw the game end 1-1 with the Czech side winning the trophy on aggregate.

95_05_19 Centenary Tour

Click the Trophy

to review a detailed account of the Hammers in the USA

Billy Bonds The Letter "B"