theyflysohigh : Steve Marsh

Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'

Insert body text here ...

Insert body text here ...


Banner Hammers Logo theyflysohigh WHU224 Red Card

Please note:

By submitting a question, we reserve the right to post the question and answer on the theyflysohigh website

If so, it is more than likely that John Northcutt author of various Hammers' related books and publications will know the answer.

If not, then 'theyflysohigh's historical collection of programmes, newspaper clippings, photographs and other claret and blue memorabilia will almost certain contain the answer.


Supporters can test John's knowledge by sending their questions to

Dear John Text

Is there a West Ham United-related fact, figure or story you are desperate to discover?

Perhaps there is a weird or wonderful Hammers question that you just have to find out the answer to?

Or maybe you simply want to settle an argument with a fellow fan?

Dear John Text

My father took me to a match in the late fifties where I seem to remember that before the game the players lined up to pay tribute to someone. Can you let me know the game in question and who was the tribute to ?

Dear Bob:

After some research I have come across the game you were referring to which was a Second Division fixture against Barnsley on the 8th February 1958.

Two days earlier a plane carrying the Manchester United team back to England following their European Cup game with Red Star Belgrade in Yugoslavia (now Serbia) had crashed. The flight which had stopped to refuel in Germany crashed on its third attempt to take off from the snow covered runway at Munich Airport.

This resulted in the tragic loss of 20 of the 44 on the aircraft including seven players with Duncan Edwards later dying in hospital.

The Hammers team who lined up to pay their tribute was Noel Cantwell, Ernie Gregory, George Wright, Billy Dare, Andy Malcolm, Eddie Lewis, Malcolm Musgrove, John Dick, Mike Grice, Ken Brown and Malcolm Pyke. For the record the game ended 1-1 with Eddie Lewis being our scorer from the penalty spot.


Dear John Text John Northcutt

Bob Simpson : Upminster

I was telling my Chelsea supporting friend that West Ham once scored ten goals against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. He refused to believe me so can you please let me know when this happened.

Munich Air Crash Dear John Text

Ask me another ...

Hello Ken:

I am pleased to tell you that you are correct, the game in question was a Football League South fixture on the 30th March 1940. The Hammers won the match 10-3 with the goal scorers being Sammy Small 4, George Foreman 3, Ted Fenton 2 and Stan Foxall with 1.

West Ham had a good side in those days as later in the same season the team went on to win the Football League War Cup when they beat Blackburn Rovers 1-0 at Wembley.

Ken Harris : Romford

Sam Small

Sammy Small

scored 4 times

Dear John Text

My Dad took me to a game in the 1950 era. The game was I think against a German club Stuttgart and one of their players had only one arm. Am I dreaming ?

Alan Timms

Hi. Alan

No you are not dreaming. The one armed player was VfB Stuttgart captain Robert Schlienz. He had his left arm amputated following a car accident in 1948 when travelling to a VfB cup match at Aalen in the eastern part of Germany. The unlucky striker had already taken a Russian bullet on the Eastern Front that left a permanent scar on his jaw. The game your Dad took you to was played on the 5th October 1954 with the Hammers winning 4-0, the goals were scored by Dave Sexton 2, Albert Foan and Harry Hooper.

West Ham United v. VFB Stuttgart One-armed captain Schlienz VFB Stuttgart

One-armed captain, Schlienz, and VfB goalkeeper Bogelein, in close attendance are Dave Sexton and Jimmy Andrews

VfB Stuttgart and West Ham United line-up before the game

Dear John Text

I am a Hearts supporter living in London. Hearts played a friendly with West Ham in the 50s but I seem to remember another friendly in the early 90s. I have been speaking to a West Ham supporter who says that Hearts have not played at Upton Park in that period. Are you aware of any game. ?

WHU v. Hearts at Dagenham Dunne Benefit

Hi. Jim

The game you refer to was played on the 14th December 1994 but the fixture was not at Upton Park It was played at Victoria Road the home of Dagenham and Redbridge F.C.

The game was a benefit match for former Dagenham player Mick Dunne. West Ham were winning 1-0 at half time courtesy of a Trevor Morley penalty when a floodlight failure caused the game to be abandoned.

There were a fair few London Hearts in crowd that night, with their light-hearted banter and chanting "We want our money back". By all accounts 'The Jam Tarts' supporters' weren't too disappointed, as they ended the evening in high spirits in the 'Daggers' social club.


West Ham team:

Sealey, Breacker, Brown, Martin, Rieper, Hughes, Williamson, Holmes, Currie, Chapman, Morley

Jim Watson :  Edinburgh, Scotland (now living in East Ham)

Dear John Text

With our seven sending offs this season I was thinking back to when I believe three of our players were sent off in the same game and if my memory serves me correctly it was against Leeds United. But who were the players ?

Hi. Terry

The match was a 5-1 home defeat against Leeds United on the 1st May 1999. And the worst ever performance by a referee at the Boleyn Ground which resulted in a farce. Referee Rob Harris brandished his red card three times, sending off Ian Wright, Shaka Hislop and Steve Lomas and cautioned no less than nine other players.


The Hammers first dismissal came when Ian Wright raised an arm on Alf-Inge Haarland, and was booked, then on 15 minutes he received a second yellow when he bundled Ian Harte to the ground. Wright was later fined £17,500 by the F.A. after he kicked in the refs dressing room door.


The West Ham keeper was the second to see red on 61 minutes when he tackled Hasselbaink directly with both feet. Hislop got his marching orders and the Hammers were down to nine men.


Steve Lomas became the third player to get an early bath when he lost the ball and swung a leg at Ian Harte, the Leeds player jumped high in the air, convincing the referee that the tackle was worse than it actually was. The referee also booked a further six West Ham players and three from Leeds. Leeds Manager David O’Leary said the ref had a good game, but Harry Redknapp’s comments were unprintable.

WHU v. Leeds United Ian Wright 1999

Terry Porter :  Essex


Wright sees Red

Dear John Text

My friend used to go to a lot of youth games and he told me that he once saw them score about 20 goals in a game. This I find hard to believe so can you tell me if there was such a match ?

Roger Hudson :  Southend 'Iron'

Hi. Roger

You will be surprised to know that our youth team did in fact score 21 goals in a youth cup-tie. The game was played on the 5th November 1990, Guy Fawkes night, and the young Hammers certainly sparkled that night.

The occasion was a first round FA Youth Cup tie against Horndean FC played at Upton Park.  

West Ham scored after two minutes and the half time score was 10-0. On 67 minutes with the Hammers winning 14-0 there was a huge surprise when Hampshire side scored.

The goals continued to flow as the young Hammers scored another seven to give a final score of 21-1.  

90_11_05 WHU v. Horndean FAYC1

Tony Richards scoring the last goal


In the West Ham side that night was Mick Macari the son of our former manager Lou who scored five goals. Claiming a hat-trick was Kevin Horlock who went on to play over a hundred games for both Swindon Town and Manchester City before he returned to Upton Park to play 33 games for the Hammers in 2003-04.

Simon Beard completes his hat trick

Dear John Text

I was nine on the 2nd September 1992 and for a birthday treat my uncle took me to Upton Park for a game against Bristol Rovers. I can only remember a very small crowd being there. Can you let me have details of the game which I suppose was a League Cup tie.

David Morton

Hi. David

You were right about the small crowd, there were only 4,809 inside the ground The game was a group stage match in the Anglo Italian Cup where all the English First Division sides were put into groups and the successful ones later played their Italian counterparts in the International stage.  

The Hammers drew 2-2 with Bristol Rovers that day with Steven Banks making his Hammers debut in goal and Julian Dicks scored both goals. 

92_09_02 WHU v. Bristol Rovers AIC BANKS Steven

Steven Banks debut

West Ham proceeded to the International Stage on the toss of a coin where they recorded two wins, a draw and a single defeat. Unfortunately, this was not quite enough to qualify for the semi-final against the top English side, Derby County, from the other group.

Anglo-Italian Cup

Tournament Link