theyflysohigh : Steve Marsh

Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'

Insert body text here ...

Insert body text here ...


Banner Hammers Logo theyflysohigh NEVILLE Billy signature KEEBLE Vic to Steve KEEBLE Vic & Me Blue OBENEY Harry & Steve Blue OBENEY Harry to Steve LANSDOWNE Bill to Steve BOYCE Ron to Steve CARTWRIGHT & Steve MOORE Bobby BLUE2

Ted Fenton 1950 - 1961 ...

Player Pen Pictures and Autographs

436= EDDIE LEWIS ... (1956 - 1958)

A former "Busby Babe," Eddie joined Hammers from Preston North End in an exchange deal which resulted in Frank O'Farrell going to Deepdale. Made a scoring debut in the 2-1 victory over Leicester City at Upton Park on the 24 November 1956. Originally a centre-forward, he was successfully converted to the full-back berth when he joined Leyton Orient. He had previously turned in some useful performances during the Hammers' promotion season, and later did the same for the "O's" when they too were elevated to the First Division in 1962. He later played for Folkestone Town and went on to manage Ford Sports in the Greater London League.


Part 2 :  430. Robert Gordon Johnstone to 457. Alan Sealey

432= Mike GRICE ... (1956 - 1961)

Born: 3 November 1931, Woking, Surrey


Date: March 1956

Fee: £8,500


Victoria Ground 2 April 1956

Transferred: COVENTRY CITY

Date: August 1961

Fee: £2,500

Appearances: 142 (gls 13) Cup: 23 (gls 4)

Died: 2 August 2002 (aged 70)

Born: 19 March 1936, Rawalpindi, India


Date: June 1955

Fee: £25 donation


Victoria Ground 2 April 1956

Transferred: Retired to Australia, later played for Portsmouth in 1962

Appearances: 6 (gls 0) Cup: 6 (gls 1)

Born: 9 November 1935, Shoreditch, London


Date: February 1956



Upton Park 21 April 1956

Transferred: Retired - Coach

Date: 1965

Appearances: 57 (gls 5) Cup: 10 (gls 0)

Born: 4 April 1929, Dundee, Scotland


Date: May 1956

Fee: £2,500


Upton Park 24th November 1956


Date: June 1958

Fee: £1,200

Appearances: 13 (gls 0) Cup: 2 (gls 0)

Died: May 1981, Belper, Derbyshire (aged 52)

Born: Shoreditch, London 04/01/1939

Signed: Juniors

Date: January 1956


Vale Park 15 September 1956


Date: March 1960

Fee: Exchange deal with DAVE DUNMORE

Appearances: 125 (gls 20) Cup: 13 (gls 3)

Died: 1988

Born: 19 November 1934, Edinburgh, Scotland


Date: April 1953

Fee: £100 donation


Belle Vue 3 November 1956

Transferred: IPSWICH TOWN

Date: July 1957

Fee: £1,000

Appearances: 2 (gls 0) Cup: 0 (gls 0)

Born: 3 January 1935, Manchester


Date: November 1956

Fee: Exchange deal with FRANK O'FARRELL


Upton Park 24 November 1956

Transferred: LEYTON ORIENT

Date: June 1958

Fee: £10,000 with GEORGE WRIGHT

(Lewis valued at £5,000)

Appearances: 31 (gls 12) Cup: 5 (gls 3)

Died: 2 May 2011 (aged 76)

Born: Canada 02/04/1932


Date: December 1957

Fee: £200 donation


Upton Park 16th March 1957

Transferred: DARTFORD

Date: 1958

Fee: Registration still held by WHU

Appearances: 7 (gls 2)

Born: Cork, Eire 15/05/1935


Date: 21 November 1956

Fee: £25 donation


Bramall Lane16 September 1957

Transferred: Retired illness

Appearances: 5 (gls 1)

Died: 29 September 2018 (aged 83)

Born: Bethnal Green, London 09/03/1938

Signed: Juniors

Date: May 1956


Meadow Lane 20th April 1957

Transferred: MILLWALL

Date: June 1961

Appearances: 25 (gls 12) Cup: 6 (gls 0)

Born: Eltham, London 06/03/1938

Signed: Juniors

Date: March 1955


Upton Park 22nd April 1957


Date: June 1959

Fee: Exchange deal with Ron Brett

Appearances: 17 (gls 0) Cup: 5 (gls)

Born: Marylebone, London 23/10/1937

Signed: Juniors

Date: January 1955


Upton Park 2nd September 1957


Date: September 1963

Fee: £3,750

Appearances: 61 Cup: 10

Born: Custom House, London 05/07/1935

Signed: Juniors

Date: December 1953


Belle Vue 1st March 1958

Transferred: IPSWICH TOWN

Date: June 1959

Fee: £8,500

Appearances: 15 (gls 1) Cup 7 (gls 0)

Born: 25 June 1930, Colchester, Essex


Date: 12 October 1957

Fee: £10,000


Upton Park 19 October 1957

Transferred: Retired

Appearances: 76 (gls 45) Cup: 8 (gls 6)

Died: 29 January 2018

Born: Barking, Essex 12/04/1941

Signed: Juniors

Date: June 1958


Upton Park 8th September 1958

Transferred: FULHAM

Date: March 1974

Appearances: 543/1 (gls 24) Cup: 102 (gls 3)

Born: Caersws, Montgomeryshire, Wales 22/12/1932


Date: November 1958

Fee: £30,000


Upton Park 8th NOvember 1958

Transferred: ASTON VILLA

Date: November 1962

Fee: £26,000

Appearances: 138 (gls 26) Cup: 15 (gls 3)

Member of the 1958 promotion - winning side, this blond-haired flying winger made a big contribution to that success. A maker, rather than a taker, of goals, he provided the perfect complement to his opposite flankman, Malcolm Musgrove. Signed from Colchester United for £8,500 Michael John Grice made his Hammers debut along with Roy Smith in a 0-3 defeat against Stoke City 2nd April 1956 at the Victoria Ground. He moved to Coventry City for the 1961-62 season for £2,500 and returned to Layer Road the following year to end his League days with the Essex club.

432= Roy SMITH ... (1956 - 1958)

Although of English parentage he was born in India - a somewhat unusual location for a footballer! He played his early soccer with Hereford United and Woodford Youth Club when his parents returned to this country. An inside-forward of some talent, he retained his amateur status for two years before signing full professional in June 1955 West Ham United made a £25 donation to the Essex club. Smith made his Hammers debut in the 0-3 defeat at the hands of Stoke City at the Victoria Ground on the 2 April 1956, he made one other appearance that campaign in the concluding fixture of the 55-56 campaign, this time on the winning side by 3-0 against Bristol City at Upton Park. He made a further four appearances the following season, he then decided to emigrate with his parents instead of looking for another club after being placed on the transfer list by West Ham. He recommenced his League career in the early Sixties with Portsmouth.

434. Billy LANSDOWNE Snr. (1956 - 1962)

Signed professional after his demobilisation from the R.A.F. in April 1956. Lansdowne began his footballing career with non-league Woodford Town before making his professional debut with West Ham United against Lincoln City at Upton Park in a 2-4 defeat on the 21 April 1956. The consistent wing-half was a member of the successful Second Division Championship side of 1958. After hanging up his boots he was appointed coach to the juniors in 1965, but left a year later to become manager of Eastbourne United (where Ron Greenwood served his managerial "apprenticeship") after qualifying for his F.A. Coaching Badge. Lansdowne returned in 1967, however to take charge of Hammers' Youth squad, later moving up to coach the reserves. He then became connected with Dagenham Football Club.

435. John SMITH ... (1956 - 1960)

One of the club's finest discoveries, plain John Smith was a major influence during the promotion season of 1958; the far from ordinary skills he exhibited that campaign will be long remembered at Upton Park. Joining the ground-staff in 1954 and signing full pro two years later, after he had won honours with East London, Middlesex and London Schoolboys, he went on to win England Youth and Under-23 caps while with Hammers. Making his Hammers debut in the 0-0 draw with Port Vale at Vale Park on the 15th September 1956. On the verge of full England international honours (he was twice named as reserve during 1959-60), his career took a downward spiral after he was involved in an exchange deal with Dave Dunmore of Tottenham. Never able to win a regular place at White Hart Lane, he played out the remainder of his career in the lower divisions with Coventry City, Leyton Orient, Torquay, Swindon Town (where he won a League Cup Winners medal in 1969) and finally Walsall.

430. Robert Gordon JOHNSTONE ... (1955 - 1957)

A fine wing-half in the best Scottish tradition, Gordon played his early soccer with Edinburgh Schoolboys and East of Scotland Select while with junior side Ormiston Primrose. Came to the Boleyn for a trial, and impressed sufficiently to sign professional forms in April 1953 and as a gesture the Hammers paid Ormiston a £100 donation. National Service commitments interrupted his soccer career. Made his initial appearance for the Hammers on the 31 August 1955, in the Final of the Essex Professional Cup against Southend United, the game having been postponed from the previous April to allow it to take place on the Shrimpers new ground at Roots Hall. 2-2 at full time the game was abandoned at the interval of extra time as it was too dark to continue the score ended 3-3, both clubs sharing the cup for 6 months. His League debut came against Doncaster Rovers at Belle Vue in a 0-3 reverse on the 3rd November 1956. He made only one more Second Division showing before being transferred to Ipswich Town. Served the Suffolk club well until 1959, when he gave up the game to embark on a professional singing career in Canada.

436= Robinson “Bob” WYLLIE ... (1956 - 1957)

Scottish custodian who began with junior side Monifieth Tayside F.C., before transferring to Dundee United. His displays at Tannadice were impressive enough to send Blackpool over the border seeking his signature as a deputy for Scottish international George Farm. He played 13 First Division matches for the Seasiders up to his transfer to Hammers in May 1956. Required to do a similar job at Upton Park - this time as deputy to Ernie Gregory, Bob made his League debut in the 2-1 victory over Leicester City at Upton Park on the 24th November 1956, making an unlucky 13 again in League matches, he moved on to Plymouth Argyle in June 1958, before finally settling down for a lengthy stay at Mansfield Town.

440. Mick NEWMAN ... (1956 - 1958)

The last amateur player to appear in Hammers' First Team. Made his Second Division debut against Doncaster Rovers at Upton Park in a 1-1 draw on the 16th March 1957, going on to total four appearances that campaign. Scored two goals during his three outings in the promotion season, he had previously been well known in local amateur soccer with Dagenham, Romford, Leytonstone and Rainham. Joined Dartford from Hammers.

435. Harry OBENEY ... (1957 - 1961)

Originally a half-back, this whole-hearted player was converted to centre-forward when Hammers were looking for a replacement for Vic Keeble. He met with a measure of success in his new role, having waited some three years for senior recognition since signing full pro in May 1956 after playing for Briggs Sports. Made his Hammers debut in the 1-4 defeat against Notts County at Meadow Lane on the 20th April 1957. Harry was allowed to join Millwall after receiving a benefit from the club in 1961, making 75 League appearances for the Lions before a brief spell with Colchester United. He later had a season at Southern League Dover, before settling down with the now defunct Romford F.C. for whom he made over 400 first-team appearances.

436. Malcolm PYKE ... (1957 - 1958)

A steady, constructive defender who provided vital cover for the wing-half berths during the 1957-58 promotion season. Progressed through the junior ranks to make his initial Second Division appearance against Bristol City in  a 3-1 victory at Upton Park on the 22nd April 1957. Won a Second Division Championship medal the following year, but didn't have any First Division outings when Hammers returned to the top-flight in 1958-59. He subsequently transferred to Crystal Palace in the exchange deal which brought Ron Brett to the Boleyn. Played only two League games at Selhurst Park.

437. Brian RHODES ... (1957 - 1963)

Known as "Bruey" to his team-mates, this reliable unspectacular goalkeeper made over 60 League appearances during his nine years at the Boleyn. A former Essex schoolboys player and reserve for England Boys, he signed full professional forms in 1954 after joining the staff in April 1952. Mainly a reserve, he always performed capably when called up for First-team duty. Made his Hammers debut in the 1-1 draw with Blackburn Rovers at Upton Park on the 2nd September 1957. Was a member of the squad of players which went to the States when the club competed for the International Soccer League and Challenge Cup in 1963. Rejoined his former manager, Ted Fenton, at Southend United the same year.  Brian later went to live in New Zealand.

438. Billy NEVILLE ... (1957)

Eire-born inside-forward who played for Wembley Rovers. Attracted the West Ham United scout’s attention with his performances for Limerick side and was invited over to the Boleyn Ground in November 1956 for a two-week trail. Manager Ted Fenton was so impressed with the youngster he was duly signed on professional forms on November  21, 1956 at £10 per week. The Hammers board of Directors also made a £25 donation to Eire side as a gesture of goodwill. Neville graduated through the reserve ranks to First Team contention in the 1957-58 campaign, when he played three Second Division matches in the promotion year. Making his senior First Team appearance against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane in a 1-2 defeat on the 16 September 1957. Neville’s only international recognition came when he was selected to represent the Republic of Ireland in a ‘B’ international against Romania at Dalymont Park, Dublin on October 20, 1957 scoring Ireland’s goal in the 1-1 draw. Neville was forced to give up the game he loved on doctor's advice following continued illness.

445. Vic KEEBLE ... (1957 - 1960)

This great centre-forward joined West Ham from Newcastle United on 12 October 1957 for a fee of £10,000. Keeble had started his career at hometown club Colchester United. The young Essex man scored 23 goals in 46 league games for the U's, adding to the dozens he had netted in the Southern League. In 1952, Keeble moved to the North East and Newcastle United for £15,000. After initially biding his time behind the great Jackie Milburn, the young forward lined-up alongside the Magpies legend regularly from the start of the 1954-55 season. Over the next two years, he scored regularly, while also using his outstanding heading ability to provide flick-ons and knock-downs for his team-mates. After playing in the 1955 FA Cup final win over Manchester City and scoring 56 goals in just 104 league games Keeble joined Fenton's West Ham in 1957. He made his Second Division debut against Doncaster Rovers at Upton Park on 19 October 1957, scoring a debut goal in the 1-1 draw. In his first season in east London, he scored 23 goals in 32 appearances as the Hammers won the Division Two title. A further 20 goals followed in 1958-59 as West Ham finished sixth in Division One. Vic's career was brought to a sadly premature conclusion at the age of 29, due to a worsening back injury he suffered playing against Fulham in October 1959. After retiring in 1960, Keeble worked as a football reporter and became general manager of Southern League Chelmsford City. The Essex club gave him a Testimonial match in 1985-86, for which the Hammers provided some players in the opposing team.

440. Andy NELSON ... (1954 - 1958)

Following in the footsteps of his brother Bill, who later played for Queens Park Rangers, Andy joined the Upton Park staff in December 1953 as a junior. Made his initial Hammers debut in the 3-2 Semi-Final victory over Colchester United at Layer Road in the Essex Pro Cup on the 11th November 1954. Andy's League debut came 4 years later in a 2-1 victory against Doncaster Rovers at the Belle Vue Ground on the 1st March 1958. Scored his one and only goal against Burnley at Upton Park a 1-0 victory 25th October 1958. Although on the retained list for the 1959-60 season, an approach from Ipswich Town manager Alf Ramsey led to his transfer to the Suffolk side, where he gained Second and First Division Championship medals in 1961 and 1962, and skippered the Suffolk club.

441. Bobby MOORE ... (1958 - 1973)

The most famous Hammer of them all, and the finest defender in the world at the peak of his career. A blond colossus at the heart of West Ham's defence for over a decade, he represented his country at every level and played 646 League and Cup games for his club. Making his League debut against Manchester United on the 8th September 1958 in a 3-2 victory, he was a surprise selection for the England  World Cup squad which went to Chile in 1962, his greatest achievement in the international arena was to lift the World Cup after England's Final victory over West Germany in 1966. He went on to make a record-breaking 108 appearances for his country, which was eventually overhauled by Peter Shilton. Transferred to Fulham in 1973, he played against his former colleagues in the Cockney F.A. Cup Final of 1975. Went into football management with Oxford City, where he had former colleague Harry Redknapp with him as an assistant before running a club in Hong Kong. Then became manager of Southend United in 1984, but left in May 1986. He was then employed as the sport's editor of the "Sunday Sport" newspaper. Honours: F.A. Cup-Winners medal 1964; European Cup Winners Cup medal 1965; Football League Cup Runners-up medal 1966; World Cup Winners medal 1966; 18 England Youth caps; 8 England Under-23 caps; 108 England caps; also represented the Football League. Bobby Moore died of cancer at the early age of 51 in February 1993, a memorial service was held at Westminster Abbey, and a more lasting tribute was made when West Ham named their new South Bank stand, The Bobby Moore Stand.

442. Phil WOOSNAM ... (1958 - 1962)

443. Joe KIRKUP ... (1958 - 1966)

Born: Hexham, Northumberland 17/12/1939

Signed: Juniors

Date: May 1957


Maine Road 13th December 1958

Transferred: CHELSEA

Fee: £35,000

Date: March 1966

Appearances: 165 (gls 6) Cup: 25 (gls 0)

Born: Ilford, Essex 15/03/1941

Signed: Juniors

Date: June 1958


White Hart Lane 26th December 1958


Date: June: 1961

Appearances: 20 (gls 3) Cup: 7 (gls 2)

Born: Dublin, Eire 30/10/1934


Date: December 1958

Fee: £3,500


Upton Park 21st March 1959

Transferred: SWANSEA TOWN £3,000

Date: August 1960

Appearances: 36 Cup: 7

Born: Stanford-le-Hope, Essex 04/09/1937


Date: June 1959

Fee: Exchange deal Malcolm Pyke


Upton Park 14th September 1959


Date: March 1962

Appearances: 12 (gls 4) Cup: 2 (gls 0).

Born: Isleworth, Middlesex 02/03/1942

Signed: Juniors

Date: April 1959


Upton Park 10th October 1959


Date: August 196

Appearances: 12 (gls 3) Cup: 3 (gls 0)

The original "Welsh Wizard." A footballing genius who almost single-handedly controlled Hammers' destiny from the inside-right position in the immediate post-promotion years. He represented Wales at Schools, Amateur and full international level, and was the first Hammer to play for the Principality since Wilf James in 1932. A relatively late starter, he did have one game for Manchester City as far back as 1952, after moving to Maine Road for trials from Sutton United while still retaining his amateur status. Phil's career took off at Leyton Orient after he had satisfied his academic needs at University by obtaining his degree as a Bachelor of Science, continuing to teach at Leyton County High School. It cost Hammers a then club-record fee of £30,000 to persuade O's to part with their star performer in November 1958, and then made his debut against Arsenal at Upton Park in a 0-0 draw on the 8th November 1958. He was chosen for Wales on 14 occasions during his four years at the Boleyn, having already won one cap while at Brisbane Road, and also represented the Football League. The arrival of Johnny Byrne in March 1962 seemed to hasten Phil's departure which to many appeared premature, the pair's link-up in Hammers attack having become the high-light of the London scene by the time of his move to Aston Villa. He gained another two caps and scored 23 goals in 111 League matches while with Villa. In 1966 Phil emigrated to the States to take up the post of player-coach to Atlanta Chiefs, who won the North American Soccer League two years later under his guidance. He was then appointed Commissioner of the League and since then probably did more to further the game in the States than any other single person.

A Constructive, resourceful full-back, this popular North Easterner was a product of the club's ground staff and signed professional when he was 17. Made his initial debut against Southend United at Upton Park in the Semi-Final of the Essex Pro Cup in which Hammers won 2-1 on the 10th March 1958, made his Football League debut against Manchester City at Maine Road in a 1-3 reverse 13th December 1958.  His highlight whilst a Hammers must have been playing at Wembley in the 1965 European Cup Winners' Cup Final v. TSV Munich which the Hammers won 2-0. He transferred across London to Chelsea for £27,000 and later served Southampton.

444. Andy SMILLIE ... (1958 - 1961)

A skilful, ball-playing inside-forward who had won a host of representative honours with Ilford, London and England Schoolboys before joining the Upton Park ground-staff in 1956. Signed pro in 1958 after adding three England Youth caps to his earlier honours; he made his initial debut along with Joe Kirkup in the Semi-Final of the Essex Pro Cup against Southend United in a 2-1 victory on the 10th March 1958, his First Division debut on Boxing Day of the same year against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane in a 4-1 win. Andy refused the terms offered him for 1961-62, and was subsequently transferred to Crystal Palace where he joined up with fellow ex-Hammer John Cartwright, Alf Noakes and George Petchey, and also Hammer-to-be Johnny Byrne. He later had spells with Scunthorpe and Southend before ending his League career with Gillingham.

445. Noel DWYER ... (1959 - 1960)

Courageous Eire international goalkeeper, signed from Wolverhampton Wanderers in December 1958 succeeding long-serving Ernie Gregory in West Ham’s goal. Noel made his Hammers debut in the 4-3 victory over Bolton Wanderers at Upton Park on the 21st March 1959. Could be brilliant in one match and infuriating the next. It was this inconsistency which prompted his transfer to Swansea Town in August 1960. He was an important figure as Swansea won the Welsh Cup in 1960-61 and reached the FA Cup semi-finals in 1963-64. Capped 14 times by his country, 4 whilst with the Hammers, he later had spells with Plymouth Argyle under Malcolm Allison in January 1965 and later Charlton Athletic in December 1965.

446. Ron BRETT (1959-1961)

A strong, old fashioned type of centre-forward who was signed from Crystal Palace in a straight exchange deal which took Malcolm Pyke to Selhurst Park. Made his Hammers debut in the 1-2 home defeat by Tottenham Hotspur on the 14th September 1959. He rejoined his former club on a similar basis, after nearly three seasons at Upton Park, this time being valued at £7,000 in the record-breaking transaction which made Johnny Byrne a Hammer. Ron died only five months after his transfer when his car collided with a lorry in Clerkenwell. Poignantly, the last match he played in was between Hammers and Palace in a reserve fixture at Upton Park on the Saturday before his tragic death.

447. Derek WOODLEY ... (1959 - 1962)

Born: Brixworth, Northamptonshire 05/11/1940

Signed: Juniors

Date: November 1957


Goodison Park 17th October 1959


Date: May 1961

Appearances: 4 (gls 0) Cup: 4 (gls 3)

Born: Ilford, Essex 24/02/1940

Signed: Juniors

Date: May 1957


Upton Park 6th February 1960

Transferred: Retired injury 1963

Appearances: 31 (gls 0) Cup: 4 (gls 0)

Born: Edonton, London 01/04/1941

Signed: Juniors

Date: May 1958


Upton Park 6th February 1960

Transferred: ASTON VILLA

Date: October 1965

Fee: £15,000

Appearances: 83 (gls 16) Cup: 14 (gls 3)

Born: Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancs. 08/12/1941

Signed: Juniors

Date: April 1959


City GRound 27th February 1960

Transferred: STOKE CITY

Date: August 1972

Appearances: 410/1 (gls 180) Cup: 91 (gls 68)

An extremely fast flankman who had won England Schools honours before joining Hammers. While on the ground-staff he added six England Youth caps and an F.A. Youth Cup runners-up medal to his earlier triumphs and looked set for a big future. Two goals on his League debut against Luton Town in a 3-1 victory at Upton Park on the 10th October 1959, did little to dispel that view and it was something of a surprise when he eventually left Upton Park. Former Hammers' manager Ted Fenton swooped on the eve of the 1962-63 season to take Derek and his colleague Mick Beesley to Southend United in a dual transfer. Derek left the Shrimpers (after serving them well) for Charlton Athletic in 1967, only to return to Roots Hall four months later. He finally finished his League career at Gillingham in 1970.

448. Johnny CARTWRIGHT ... (1959 - 1961)

Cartwright made his initial Hammers debut in the Southern Floodlit Cup against Charlton Athletic at Upton Park on the 27th October 1958 which ended in a 5-1 victory and went on to make his League bow in the 1-0 victory over Everton at UGoodison Park a year later, 17th October 1959. Vastly talented inside-forward whose first-team opportunities were limited by the signing of Welsh international Phil Woosnam and the emergence of Ron Boyce. The England Youth international subsequent transfer to Crystal Palace bore little success, and later played for Bath City and Wimbledon in the Southern League. He later made a name for himself as manager of the England Youth team and coaching in Kuwait. Became assistant manager of Arsenal in March 1985, but resigned together with Gunners manager Don Howe in March 1986. Later became a scout for the Gunners.

449= John LYALL ... (1960 - 1963)

A solid, capable full-back who had won England Youth honours, John had an unusual beginning to a career beset with injury problems. Like Secretary Eddie Chapman before him, the young Hammer doubled as office-boy cum-apprentice professional. It was a grounding to stand him in good stead in the years ahead. A member of the F.A. Youth Cup in 1957, he made his League debut against Chelsea in a 4-2 victory at Upton Park on the 6th February 1960. Then followed a three-year fight against persistent injuries, during which time he first showed the qualities of character, now so well known. Finally succumbing to defeat, he was given a testimonial match on the eve of the F.A. Cup Final, and then began his long haul up the managerial ladder.


449= Tony SCOTT ... (1960 - 1965)

Born: Whitehaven, Cumberland 18/02/1934


Date: March 1960

Fee: Exchange deal with JOHN SMITH


Upton Park 19th March 1960

Transferred: LEYTON ORIENT

Fee: Exchange deal with ALAN SEALEY

Date: March 1961

Appearances: 36 (gls 16) Cup: 5 (gls 2)

Born: Edmonton, London 23/04/1941

Signed: Juniors

Date: May 1959


Old Trafford 18th April 1960

Transferred: Retired 1968

Appearances: 138 (gls 1) Cup: 45 (gls 1)

Born: Uxbridge, Middlesex 26/08/1938

Signed: HENDON

Date: June 1960

Fee: £250 donation


Hillsborough 3rd September 1960

Transferred: PORTSMOUTH

Date: July 1961

Appearances: 6

Born: High Beech, Essex. 10/06/1942

Signed: Juniors

Date: October 1959


Goodison Park 24th September 1960


Date: August 1962

Appearances: 2 (gls 1)



Born: East Ham, London 06/01/1943

Signed: Juniors

Date: May 1960


Upton Park 22nd October 1960

Transferred: Retired 1972 - First Team Coach

Appearances: 275/7 (gls 21) Cup: 58/1 (gls 8)

Born: Hampton, Middlesex 22/04/1942


Date: Marxh 1961

Fee: Exchange Deal with DAVE DUNMORE


Filbert Street 3rd April 1961


Date: November 1967

Appearances: 107 (gls 22) Cup: 20 (gls 4)

451. Geoff HURST ... (1958 - 1972)

An orthodox right-winger with a penchant for scoring goals. North London born, he escaped the Tottenham scouting net to join the Upton Park ground-staff in 1957; quickly making his way through the junior ranks and 12 appearances for England Youth. Had his League debut v Chelsea at Upton Park along with John Lyall in a 4-2 victory on the 6th February 1960, and going on to make over 80 senior appearances before transferring to Aston Villa for £25,000 and renewing his right-wing partnership with Phil Woosnam at Villa Park.

A competent wing-half who by sheer determination and hard work became one of the most feared and revered strikers in World football. Of course, he had some help on the way notably from Ron Greenwood who converted him to striker. He made his first senior appearance v Fulham in a Floodlit Cup-tie in December 1958, signed professional forms four months later and made his First Division baptism 27th February 1960 against Nottingham Forest. After that his goalscoring exploits became a legend. His World Cup Final "hat-trick" in 1966 and six goals against Sunderland two years later have been woven into the fabric of football folk lore. The second-highest Hammers' marksman of all time behind Vic Watson with 180 League goals, plus 72 in the Cups; holder of 49 full England caps, winner of F.A. and European Cup Winners Cup medals in 1964 and '65...World Cup Winners medal and Football League Cup Runners-up medals, 1966. These are the landmarks the fans remember most; but he is most respected by his fellow-professionals for his unselfish ability to create, as well as take goals. Transferred to Stoke City in 1972, he made over 100 appearances for the Potters (30 goals) before moving on to end his career at West Bromwich Albion, where he played ten games and scored two more goals. He then became player-manager of non-League Telford before moving into full League management with Chelsea. He later assisted Ron Greenwood in the running of the England side.

452. Dave DUNMORE ... (1960 - 1961)

Experienced centre-forward who arrived at Upton Park in an exchange deal which took Johnny Smith to Tottenham Hotspur. Dave made his Hammers debut against Blackburn Rovers in the 2-1 victory at Upton Park on the 19th March 1960. He acquitted himself well during his two years in the claret-and-blue, scoring some useful goals and "beefing-up" the forward line at a time when Hammers were struggling to consolidate their First Division status. Found himself involved in another exchange, this time with near-neighbours Leyton Orient in a transfer which resulted in Alan Sealey joining the club. Dave later returned to the team where he started his career - York City - after serving Orient well and helping them into the First Division in 1962.

453. Eddie BOVINGTON ... (1960 - 1967)

Abrasive, dependable wing-half in the Andy Malcolm mould. His reinstatement to the side after the Boxing Day 1963 debacle against Blackburn Rovers did much to bring about the improved form and stability which led to the team's Cup Final triumph. Made his Hammers bow against Manchester United at Old Trafford in a 3-5 defeat on the 18th April 1960 and his performance against the Red Devils in the 1964 FA Cup Semi-final clash at Hillsborough, when he man-marked Bobby Charlton, was the highlight of his career. Eddie retired early from the game, resisting the temptation of playing in the lower leagues to go into the rag trade at 28.

454. Peter SHEARING ... (1960)

An experienced senior amateur goalkeeper with Uxbridge, Hayes, Kingstonian and Hendon, playing for the latter in the 1960 Amateur Cup Final at Wembley shortly before moving to Upton Park in June 1960. Signed for Hammers after a spell on Tottenham's books, making his initial League appearance against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough in a 0-1 defeat on the 3rd September 1960. He went on to make half-a-dozen First Division outings deputising for Brian Rhodes before returning to reserve team duty. Began a grand tour of the West Country clubs when transferred to Portsmouth, later taking in Exeter City, Plymouth Argyle, Exeter again, Bristol Rovers and finally Gillingham. He assisted Fellow ex-Hammer Andy Nelson at Charlton Athletic when the latter was manager at The Valley, and also became a fully-qualified referee.

455. Mick BEESLEY ... (1960 - 1962)

Despite scoring on his League debut against Everton at Goodison Park in a 1-4 defeat on the 24th September 1960, and heavily for the reserves this inside-forward failed to win a regular place in the League side. Transferred to Southend United in July 1962, where he joined up with former Hammers' manager Ted Fenton, he moved on to Peterborough United in 1965; returned to Roots Hall two years later to finish his career with the Essex club. He had received London and F.A. Youth honours while with Hammers.

456. Ron BOYCE ... (1959 - 1972)

Workhorse of the successful cup sides of the mid-sixties. Guaranteed himself a place in Upton Park folk-lore with his two goals against Manchester United in the 1964 Semi-Final at Hillsborough and his Wembley winner against Preston North End; opposing whom he also made his League debut at the age of 17, on the 22nd October 1960 in a 5-2 victory at Upton Park, his initial First Team appearance being against Millwall in the Southern Floodlit Cup a year earlier on the 13th October 1959. Played schoolboy soccer for East Ham, London, Essex and England, and also won England Youth honours. "Ticker" had a well earned Testimonial game against Manchester United in 1972. After retiring from playing he was kept on the West Ham payroll in a coaching capacity and later as chief scout.

457. Alan SEALEY ... (1961 - 1967)

Spotted originally by talent scout Eddie Heath and signed for Orient by caretaker manager Les Gore after scoring five goals in his first trial match. Alan joined Hammers in somewhat unusual fashion, he arrived at Upton Park from Leyton Orient in the exchange deal which took Dave Dunmore to Brisbane Road, just after the departure of Ted Fenton and just before the appointment of Ron Greenwood as new team boss; actually being signed by Chairman Mr. Reg Pratt! Alan made his Hammers debut against Leicester City in the 1-5 defeat at Filbert Street on the 3rd April 1961. Scorer of the two goals which defeated T.S.V. Munich in the memorable 1965 European Cup Winners' Cup Final at Wembley, his career plummeted after a freak pre-season training accident the same year. Transferred to Plymouth Argyle in November 1967, Alan stayed only briefly at Home Park before ending his playing career with his then local club Romford F.C. in the Southern League.

426 SMITH Roy 434 NEWMAN Mick 440 NELSON Andy 439 KEEBLE Vic 443 KIRKUP Joe 444 SMILLIE Andy 445 DWYER Noel 446 BRETT Ron 449 LYALL John 450 SCOTT Tony 451 HURST Geoff 452 DUNMORE Dave 453 BOVINGTON Eddie 454 SHEARING Peter 456 BOYCE Ron 457 SEALEY Alan WOOSNAM Phil Blue 437 RHODES Brian BOVINGTON Eddie Blue Dunmore Dave LYALL John 431 JOHNSTONE Gordon 425 GRICE Mike 427 LANSDOWNE Billy 442 WOOSNAM Phil 441 MOORE Bobby 447 WOODLEY Derek 455 BEESLEY Mick 436 PYKE Malcolm PYKE Malcolm Blue 435 OBENEY Harry 432 WYLLIE Robinson 430 SMITH John 433 LEWIS Eddie Autographs : Charlie Paynter Autographs : Ron Greenwood

431. Tommy LAWRENCE  (1955)

Born: Unknown

Signed: BARNET

Date: September 1955


Upton Park 5 December 1955

Appearances: Cup: 1 (gls 0)

Tommy signed on amateur forms whilst with Barnet, was transferred to West Ham in September 1955. Made his Hammers debut in the 2-3 reverse against Southend United in the Semi-Final of the Essex Professional Cup at Upton Park on the 5 December 1955. Tommy played most of his games in the London Mid-Week League, and never managed to make an appearance in the Football League whilst on Hammers books.

438 NEVILLE Billy

Born: 10 April 1935, Cork, Ireland


Date: September 1956



Upton Park 26 December 1956


Date: June 1958

Fee: Free transfer

Appearances: 4 (gls 0)

Died: 25 November 2013, Cork, Eire (aged 78)

438. John MORLEY ... (1956 - 1958)

Morley joined the ground staff at the Boleyn in September 1956 after arriving from Evergreen. Made his Hammers debut in the 3-1 victory over Chelmsford City in the Essex Professional Cup on the 26 November 1956. West Ham team that day Gregory, Wright, Bond, Smith J., Nelson, Morley, Dare, Matthews, Wragg, Blackburn, Grice. A regular member of the Metropolitan League and Reserve side in his two seasons at the Boleyn. He left West Ham in 1958 and joined Cork Hibernians on a free transfer. West Ham were to receive 50% of any future transfer of the player.

438 MORLEY John

439. George FENN ... (1957 - 1958)

Born: 2 January 1939, Poplar, London


Date: January 1956



Upton Park 25 February 1957

Transferred: BEDFORD TOWN

Date: July 1959

Fee: Free transfer

Appearances: 2 (gls 0)

Died: 8 May 2006, London (aged 67)

A west Hammer by birth George made a big name in local schoolboy soccer; played for England Boys as an outside-right as well as at centre-forward. George joined the ground staff at West Ham in January 1956, making his First team debut at the Semi-Final stage of the Essex Professional Cup against Leyton Orient at  Upton Park in a 0-2 reverse on the 25 February 1957. George's only other appearance for the first XI also came at the same stage and venue the following season, this time he was on the winning side 2-1 against Southend United 10th March, transferred to Bedford of the Southern League in July 1959.